Experience the arts this month with dance performances featuring Malashock Dance, music performances featuring Key of She Spring and Recreational Music Center’s resident bands, inspiring photography of Outside the Lens, a special artist meet and greet at Comickaze Comics Books and More, a new exhibit at the Women’s Museum of California welcoming you to Observe and Wonder, AND SO MUCH MORE!
Friday Night Liberty May 2017 Program
Building 208 – The North Chapel
- Key of She performs at 6:30 PM and 7:30 PM, welcoming you an evening of love and laughter. Featuring songs from a wide variety of genres: madrigals, contemporary choral compositions, folk tunes, big band ballads and even some nostalgic street corner bebop.
- Martha Pace Swift Gallery & Expressive Arts Institute San Diego 5 – 8 PM on the second floor, invite you to join the opening of “Recovering the Artist VI: A Show About Hope”.
- Dick Laub NTC Command Center, features works of ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station artists curated by Lauren LeVieux of Barracks 16. Begin your Friday Night Liberty.
- Visions Art Museum: Contemporary Quilts + Textiles, is celebrating 10 years at Liberty Station and marking the occasion with six new additions to the museum’s permanent collection. Also being featured is “Anatomy of Nature” a solo exhibition with the work of Oregon artist Jean Wells, and “Earth Wind Water” showcasing the work of Colorado artist Charlotte Ziebarth.
- San Diego Watercolor Society 5 – 8 PM, presents “Budding Art”, an art exhibition juried by award-winning artist Carol Mansfield.
Building 175 – Dorothea Laub Dance Place
- Malashock Dance at 6 PM & 7 PM in the Abbe Wolfsheimer Studio on the second floor, performs a sneak peak of “MINOR FALL/MAJOR LIFT,” a bi-coastal collaboration of live music and dance, featuring all-new choreography by iconic San Diego Choreographer John Malashock and co-produced with Art of Élan.
- 7Stitches Ethnic Jewelry on the second floor, invites you to shop early for Mother’s Day! Explore unique Studio Sample Sale up to 50% off. Come early for best selection!
- M Fischbeck Studio Gallery on the second floor, celebrates Cinco de Mayo with visions of Mexico and a community art project “finding Frida”. Florals by Petals on the Point.
Barracks 17 & Plaza
- EAS Art Studio, features Ellen Shorey’s newest works with a series called “On The Water”.
- Recreational Music Center will be preforming 5 – 9 PM on the plaza, welcoming The Doghouse and resident bands to perform rock repertoires. The line-up includes: The Mad Hatters, Fearfully Made, The Rising Tides, The Flying Rockers, The Wild Californians, Onyx, Fluorescent Grizzlies!
- Casa Valencia Galeria, will be hosting a fundraising event in support of Latin American Artists and Casita Copan Orphanage (HND).
- Lauren LeVieux Artist Studio now on the ground floor, will be featuring original oil paintings and art souvenirs.
- Women’s Museum of California, welcomes the public “To Observe and Wonder”, an exhibit that explores the history of women in STEM from the year 400 to today.
- San Diego Writers, INK on the second floor, invites you to see what the writers are up to and enjoy the newest Spring Fever art show in both gallery spaces.
- Outside the Lens Media Lab Gallery 6:00 – 7:30 PM, presents “Here I am”, a diverse collection of photographs that interpret light, life and child’s play.
- Comickaze Comics Books and More, invites you to meet San Diego’s Lou Pechi as he presents his memoir, “I AM LUBO”, the story of a seven-year-old Jewish child, growing up in Nazi Croatia during the Second World War.
- The Hot Spot Pottery Painting & Candle Making Studio open until 9 PM, invites you to get crafty in May! Check out fun spring items like flower pots, garden items, lanterns and of course dinnerware, mugs, goblets, beer steins and tons of fun, functional items for the kids.
- Liberty Public Market’s Mess Hall Gallery, features ARTS DISTRICT artists and photographers with over 50 new works of art. Curated by Barrack 14 resident fine artist, Nancy Tokos, this eclectic Spring show is one of our biggest & best ever!
Other Upcoming Events:
May 13th 8-10 pm – Second Saturday Cinema Featuring: La La Land